We celebrate this famous squadron with a Tornado GR4, squadron badge and motto. The badge appears on a roundel, a wall in fesse, fractured by three flashes of lightning in pile and issuant from the breach water proper. This was approved by King George VI in March 1944 after the successful attack on the dams in May 1943, known as operation 'Chastise'. After the Second World War the Squadron received Lincolns followed by Canberra's in 1952. In 1982 the Tornado GR1 entered service with 617, in a maritime role at Lossiemouth. The GR4 took over and saw active service in the first Gulf War during operation 'Telic.'